Chantilly Racecourse

This site, the closest racecourse to Charles de Gaulle Airport includes 65 acres of bordering forest that reaches to the castle and large stables.

Facilities include:
  • A wide-track (or track in the Jockey Club) measuring 2,400 ms (finish line at 600 m, 10 m of vertical climb over the last 800 m and a range from 1,600 to 4,800 m).
  • A 1,200 m  line (1,000 and 1,200 m paths).
  • An average track measuring 2,150 m (finish line at 550 m, 10 m of vertical climb and a course of 1,600 to 2,600 m).
  • Round-A track, with a course of 1,400 m at 2,400 m.
Chantilly holds first place as a centre of entertainment, with 2,558 horses in training.  Some 70% of the horses that run on racetracks in Paris are in training at Chantilly, a unique area of 1,900 hectares that provides the best 120 hectare gallop of grass tracks, 120 km of tracks in the sand, 12 km of tracks featuring obstacles and jumps, and a 100 m dirt track (sand, silt and clay).

The course has a capacity of 30,000 people in the stands, plus 2,300 seated.

Two restaurants are open to the public, one on the ground floor near the weighing station and the other offering panoramic views.

A total of 1,500 parking spaces are available (€1 on weekdays and €2 on Sundays, holidays and during Grands Prix).

A little history:
The society for the encouragement of the improvement of horse breeding in France was founded on 11 November 1833 by a honorary member to the heir of the throne, the Duke of Orleans.  It looks at races, has a stable and is the guardian of the youngest son of King Louis-Philippe, the Duc d’Aumale, then a minor, to whom was bequeathed the vast area of Chantilly, along with the castle and the forest, a former stronghold of Condé and Montmorency.  Thus, the Duke of Orleans made available to the society the wide lawn between the castle and the forest, where the inaugural meeting was held on 15 May 1834.  A total of 3,000 people watched the first race, which was won by Helena, belonging to Joseph Nicolas Rieussec.  In 1836, the Prix du Jockey Club was run for the first time and a French Derby like the Epsom Derby was established in 1780.  Its winner was Frank, wearing the colours of Lord Seymour.  The Prix de Diane, open only to fillies, was created in 1843 and won by Nativa Prince Marc de Beauvau.  The Prix de Diane and the Prix du Jockey Club are the stars of the races at Chantilly Racecourse.  In 1849, new platforms were erected, with the first installed in 1835 proving inadequate.  In 1886, the Duke d’Aumale bequeathed the area of Chantilly to the Institut de France, which currently has a racetrack at France Galop.

Chantilly Racecourse is located some 30 km from Paris Charles de Gaulle airport.

16, avenue du Général Leclerc
60500 CHANTILLY
Tél. : +33 3 44 62 44 00

Area Activities

351 Av. du Bois de la Pie, CS 42048 Paris Nord 2, Roissy CDG Cedex, France, 95912